Thursday, October 9, 2008

This grammar doesn't do me any good.

Sometimes, I still try to put into words
what made you leave.
Searching for a construction
that leaves out me.

But no matter how hard I try,
I can't get the syntax straight.

Because these adjectives --
these penny words --
no matter how good,
aren't worth a god damn thing.

Headstrong. Independent. Scared.
Heartless. Broken. Found.
Oh wait, that's a verb,
And it isn't right anyhow.

So I'm back to the kernel,
the basic of basics,
no complex modifiers need apply;
our details were always blurry anyway.

And of course, my pronouns are all wrong.
He, She, You, Her, Me.
Would it be you verb word me prepositional phrase?
It was you who needed the change.

And what you didn't need
all keeps coming back to me,
regardless of what I do.

Because the subject of this sentence is still you.

No comments: