Friday, October 3, 2008

Fables never go out of style.

So today in my ancient Greek class we translated one of Aesop's fables from the original Greek.
I deciphered sentence structure, looked up a few words I didn't know, and muddled my way through a children's tale -- no biggie.
But it's a little overwhelming when you think about what that actually means.
I took a story that has been passed down from generation to generation for more generations than I care to count, a story that has been translated and re-translated, and I read it in it's original Greek form.
And I understood it.
This, this is why I work my ass off in these classes.
I'm becoming part of a much bigger picture.
A picture generations, centuries -- entire civilizations -- in the making.
And I mean, who doesn't love a good children's tale?

No comments: